June is Acne Awareness Month, which means it’s the perfect time to highlight the all-too-common condition and promote clear skin. So, how can you make sure your skin is in tip-top shape? We put together a list of some of the best ways to do just that:
- Avoid picking at existing acne. This can make it even more noticeable and painful, possibly leading to infection and even permanent scarring.
- Wash your face twice daily. Use a gentle cleanser with lukewarm water (once in the morning, then again at night time).
- Exfoliate before washing. Doing this before washing will help to remove dead skin cells and debris from the skin (which the cleanser will then take care of thereafter).
- Don’t wash too much. Washing your face too much can cause irritation which can lead to even more breakouts.
- Use a moisturizer. Apply immediately after washing. This can be especially helpful when using topical acne medications which tend to dry out the skin.
- Wear sunscreen. Aside from the obvious reason to use sunscreen, they also can help reduce redness associated with acne as they contain ingredients that have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Limit time in the shower. Too much time spent in the shower can strip the skin of necessary oils leading to a potential increase in breakouts.
- Get a HydraFacial. The nourishing topical solutions infused into the treatment help to destroy acne-causing bacteria and minimize any present inflammation.
If these options don’t clear up your acne, a more aggressive approach may need to be taken. At Lisa Ball, NP, we offer a variety of skin care services to give you clear, beautiful skin. Click here or call (716) 688-0020 today!