So, now that school is back in full swing, there’s no better time to establish (or re-establish) a skincare routine. This will not only help you to look your best but to feel it as well.
Here are some ways to do just that:
- Use a facial cleanser that suits your skin type. Cleansing helps to remove any dirt, oil, and debris from the skin. Do this twice a day, once in the morning and once at night.
- Moisturize after cleansing. Regardless of your skin type, moisturizing is essential. It helps the skin maintain hydration and prevents it from becoming too oily.
- Exfoliate 1-2 times a week. This helps to remove dead skin cells, unclog pores, and promote an overall brighter skin complexion.
- Use an SPF of at least 30 daily. Sunscreen is very important in protecting the skin from harmful UV rays.
- Drink plenty of water. Hydration is crucial in helping to maintain the skin’s overall health.
- Eat a balanced diet (avoiding processed foods). Fruits, vegetables, and whole grains are some of the best options for healthy skin.
- Get enough sleep. Lack of sleep (less than 6 hours) can lead to dull, tired-looking skin and can even worsen some existing skin conditions.
- Try to manage stress. High cortisol levels can contribute to a variety of skin issues. Exercise, meditation, and yoga are some great ways to combat stress.
- Avoid touching your face. This can transfer dirt/bacteria to the skin.
- Change pillowcases regularly. This is another place where dirt and bacteria can collect. Wash/change pillowcases (and sheets) every week.
- Remove makeup before going to bed. Leaving makeup on overnight can cause the pores in the skin to become clogged and lead to breakouts. Use a gentle makeup remover.
- Have an acne treatment plan. Ingredients such as salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide are great in fighting acne. Seeing a dermatology provider will better help in developing a personalized plan.
Remember that consistency is key when it comes to skincare. Stick to the routine and be patient as it can take some time to see noticeable improvements in your skin.
As you may already know, the HydraFacial is an incredible treatment that does wonders in helping to improve the appearance and health of the skin. The treatment is a favorite of many because it effectively combines several treatments into one addressing a variety of skin concerns.
Whether it’s fine lines, wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, congested pores, or uneven skin tone the process contains three simple steps. They include:
- Cleanse – The treatment begins with a gentle cleansing and exfoliation with a gentle peel to remove any dirt, makeup, and oil.
- Extract – Utilizing a strong vacuum-like suction, impurities and debris are painlessly removed from the outermost layer of skin.
- Hydrate – A specialized serum containing antioxidants, hyaluronic acid, and peptides is infused into the skin providing a healthy, more radiant look.
One of the key advantages of the HydraFacial is its customizable nature. Our esthetician Jamie Popp can adjust the treatment to cater to a patient’s specific skin concerns and needs. Additionally, the treatment is often considered relatively gentle and comfortable, with minimal discomfort and downtime. Many people experience improvements in skin texture, tone, and hydration immediately after the treatment.
Based on your skincare objectives, the above can be customized and expanded upon for even better results. If you would like to experience the benefits of the HydraFacial, contact the skin care professionals at Lisa S. Ball, NP today.
For much of the summer, smoke from the Canadian Wildfires (and now Hawaiian) has brought air quality concerns into the national spotlight. Aside from the known risks of inhaling wildfire smoke, it can also pose a serious threat to the skin as well.
So how does the smoke from the wildfires affect the skin?
The microscopic particles and pollutants from the smoke land on the skin leading to potential inflammation and damage.
How does the skin damage present itself?
It can either be premature wrinkling, fine lines, or discoloration.
Is wildfire smoke the only environmental factor to worry about?
No, some others include sunlight, blue light, infrared radiation, air pollution, hot and cold temperatures, and cigarette smoke.
What are some ways to protect the skin from wildfire smoke or any other environmental factor?
- Limit time outside when the air quality is poor
- Wear sunscreen as a first line of defense
- Use an antioxidant like SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic to protect the skin
- Wash the skin to remove any smoke particles that may cling to it
- Apply a moisturizer after cleansing to maintain hydration
Even when the wildfires (hopefully) slow down and end, atmospheric aging never takes a day off. Next time you’re out, make sure to consider the health of your skin.
When it comes to skincare, there are many different options available. From drugstore brands to luxury lines, finding the right products can be tough. That’s why we recommend one of the most trusted names out there in SkinCeuticals.
Founded in 1997, SkinCeuticals was developed with an extensive amount of clinical research and science. Suitable for all skin types and tones, their products are formulated with the highest quality ingredients that are proven to address a variety of skin concerns.
These products include:
- Cleansers + Toner. Essential as a base for any skincare regimen. They help to lift impurities and oils while addressing the key needs of different skin concerns.
Products: Clarifying Exfoliating Cleanser, Gentle Cleanser, Glycolic Renewal Cleanser, LHA Cleanser, Micro-Exfoliating Scrub, Simply Clean, Soothing Cleanser, LHA Toner
- Antioxidant. Provides protection from environmental factors that can contribute to premature aging of the skin.
Product: C E Ferulic
- Moisturizers. Provides nourishment, replenishes hydration, protects the skin’s barrier, and optimizes the health and appearance of the skin.
Products: Daily Moisture, Emollience, Hydrating B5 Gel
- Sunscreens. The first line of defense against damaging UVA/UVB rays and helps to preserve the results from other products.
Products: Daily Brightening UV Defense Sunscreen 30, Light Moisture UV Defense SPF 50, Physical Fusion UV Defense SPF 50, Physical Matte UV Defense SPF 50
As you can tell, SkinCeuticals is a comprehensive skincare line that focuses on high-quality results. To learn more about SkinCeuticals, contact the skin care experts at Lisa S. Ball, NP today.
Tattoos have become increasingly more popular over the years, with roughly 30% of Americans having one. This growing prevalence highlights the significance of understanding the effect they can have on the skin.
When getting a tattoo these are some of the biggest things to consider in regards to your skin:
- Location on the body. Make sure you pick an area of the skin where no moles are present. This is because moles can change in size, shape, and color which can be a sign of skin cancer. If there is a tattoo covering them, it can make it much more difficult to see these changes.
- Exposure to the sun. Sun exposure can cause the pigment(s) in a tattoo to break down, fading the appearance over time. Some ways to avoid this include using sunscreen, wearing protective clothing, and avoiding prolonged time in the sun.
- Ink used. Tattoo ink that contains either blue, green, red, or yellow is more likely to cause skin reactions. These reactions can range from mild itching, burning, or swelling to serious infections.
- Skin conditions. Individuals with psoriasis, eczema, and vitiligo with skin conditions are at a higher risk of complications when getting a tattoo. The reason is that the process can inflame the skin and trigger an immune response.
As you can see, considering your skin when getting a tattoo is very important. With appropriate precautions it is possible to ensure both a great looking skin and tattoo. If you are considering getting a tattoo and want to schedule a skin examination prior, contact the skin care experts at Lisa S. Ball, NP today.
We all know by now the harmful effects that the sun can have on our skin. Not to mention that the intensity of it during the summer months only amplifies that. So why risk the health of your skin by not investing in a quality sunscreen? We put together a list of some of our favorite ones that will help keep your skin protected this summer.
- SkinCeuticals Daily Brightening UV Def SPF 30. The lightweight feel is very hydrating to the skin helping with UV-induced pigmentation and uneven skin tone.
- Skinceuticals UV Def., Phys Fusion SPF 50. This ultra-sheer, tinted formula provides broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection with 100% mineral filters. It goes on smoothly and spreads evenly enhancing skin radiance.
- Skinceuticals UV Def., Phys Matte SPF 50. A tinted mousse that provides broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection with 100% mineral filters. The technology behind it helps it to maintain a matte finish, even in high humidity.
- PCA Skin Active Broad Spectrum SPF 45. This water-resistant formulation can be used on the face and body and contains potent antioxidants that further protect the skin.
When it comes to sunscreen usage consistency is key. It is so important to use them regularly as they are our first line of defense against damaging UVA/UVB rays. If you would like to learn more about what sunscreen is right for you, contact the skin care experts at Lisa S. Ball, NP today.
Moms are always doing something for us, so this Mother’s Day why not return the favor and give her the gift of a HydraFacial. This revolutionary skin care treatment delivers an unparalleled pampering experience combined with a variety of benefits.
What is a HydraFacial?
The HydraFacial is an anti-aging treatment that utilizes patented technology with nourishing ingredients to gently cleanse, exfoliate, extract, and hydrate the skin. The result is an immediate radiant glow.
What does it address?
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Skin texture
- Elasticity and firmness
- Brown spots
- Congested and oily skin
- Even tone and vibrancy
- Enlarged pores
What are the benefits of it?
- Gentle but effective
- Removes dead skin cells
- Great for all skin types
- Results are seen immediately after treatment
- No downtime or discomfort
- Can target and address specific skincare concerns with customized boosters
Nothing compares to the HydraFacial. Give your mom the glow she deserves this Mother’s Day by contacting our office today.
This time of year a big concern for a lot of patients is dry, dehydrated skin on the face. So, what are some things you can do to help or prevent it altogether? Below are some great ways to do just that.
- Get a good facial moisturizer. We recommend either the SkinCeuticals Daily Moisture or SkinCeuticals Emollience (depending on your skin type).
- Limit your time in the shower. The longer the shower the more of the skin’s natural (and necessary) oils are stripped which leads to dryness. Try limiting it to 5-10 minutes.
- Use a humidifier. A humidifier will add moisture to the air helping the skin in the process.
- Get a HydraFacial with a booster. The HydraFacial by itself does an amazing job in replenishing the skin’s moisture but add in a booster and it takes it to another level. The potent ingredients in boosters help to further target and treat specific skin care needs.
If the winter weather is causing your skin to dry out, contact the skincare professionals at Lisa S. Ball today.
The skin around our eyes is some of the thinnest, most sensitive on the entire body. So, it’s important to take care of it. That’s where the SkinCeuticals AGE Eye Complex comes in.
The SkinCeuticals AGE Eye Complex is a lightweight cream that was specifically formulated for the delicate eye area. Containing a variety of nourishing ingredients, it can help to reduce the appearance of dark circles, puffiness, and wrinkles. Combined with the soft, smooth texture, the skin around your eyes will be immediately refreshed and revitalized.
To find out if the SkinCeuticals AGE Eye Cream is right for you, contact the skin care professionals at Lisa S. Ball, NP today.
As you may have noticed, hyaluronic acid is a popular ingredient in skincare; and for good reason. It offers a variety of benefits for the skin, especially in regard to anti-aging.
What is hyaluronic acid?
Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance in the body. Most abundantly found in the skin, it is also located in the eyes and joints.
What are some of the skincare benefits of hyaluronic acid?
The biggest benefit of hyaluronic acid is the effect it has on the skin’s moisture retention. Because of this, it works as a terrific moisturizer that significantly helps with dryness. In addition to that, it also helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
What are some recommended skincare products that contain it?
- PCA Skin Hyaluronic Acid Boosting Serum – This is one of our favorite skincare products, let alone one that contains hyaluronic acid. It provides instant hydration that penetrates deep into the skin and lasts. It also helps to encourage an increase in the skin’s own hyaluronic acid production.
- SkinCeuticals Hydrating B5 Gel – Another great hydrating product, this serum is perfect for aging skin in need of a smoother complexion.
- SkinCeuticals Retexturizing Activator – This one is very gentle making it perfect for those with sensitive skin. Helps with the feel and texture of the skin as well.
Which product above is best to use?
That depends on your skin type specifically and what your skincare goals are. Scheduling a complimentary visit with our Esthetician Jamie Popp can help you determine that.
As you can see, hyaluronic acid offers a variety of benefits and should be a part of everyone’s skincare routine. If you want to maintain youthful-looking skin, contact our office today.